Thursday, March 3, 2011

Growing up and giving back



Dear Eden,

On your birthday, the day we should be showering you with gifts, I sit down to think of all that you have given me. The last five years have been nothing that I expected of having a child; in so many ways, it's been more. We (us moms) often complain of all that is taken from us when we become mothers, but today I can only think of your gifts and how very lucky I am to be your mother. You have shown me passion and compassion, hope and healing, strength and mercy, youth and imagination, beauty and love, grace and kindness, dance and humor... and more dancing. I am so grateful for these gifts and so much more. I often feel guilty when I admit that March 3rd, 2006 was not the best day of my life, but because of it, I have treasured everyday since.

And even though you decided you didn't want me to sing you your song tonight... because you're five now... all grown up and ready to let go... I may have sung it right outside your door... because I'm NOT ready to give you up.

Happy Birthday, Eden Raine!


Love, Mom

3 comments:

Erin Murphy said...

Oh, that is just about the sweetest thing I have ever read....

Beth said...

Eden has given all of us so much ....strength, belief, silliness in dance, laughter, love and joy in everyday life. She is a gift.

love,
Aunt B

Erin Murphy said...

Hi. I want more blog. Thank you.