Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Three Rivers

Did anybody else watch this?



A show entirely devoted to organ transplant drama. (The key word here is "drama".)

Well, I couldn't help myself. Of course you know that Eden has had a heart transplant, so I know a thing or two about being a recipient. But you may not know that my first job in Denver was with the Donor Alliance extracting tissue from donor bodies. An interesting coincidence, huh?

I am going to have to give this show a couple more weeks because so far, I am way too caught up in the lack of reality. For instance, a pregnant woman of 28 weeks (I'm 29) presents with Dialated Cardiomyopathy (what Eden was born with). After 45 minutes of "drama", she is given a c-section and a heart transplant just in the nick of time. She did so well that she came out of the surgery without intubation or any of the other tubes and lines. Also, her 28 week baby was born fine, without the need of oxygen, etc. Yeah, right!

Oh, it's just a show, I know. Hopefully, it will give a positive representation of organ donation and encourage the conversation in homes across the country.

Have you talked to your family about your wishes?

2 comments:

Erin Murphy said...

I keep seeing ads for this show, but cannot nring myself to watch it. I think you convinced me that I have made the right decision...

Eden Raine Murphy said...

Oh Erin, I cried my way through last week's episode because I get WAY too caught up in each story line being our reality. I've gotta quit doing this to myself! You're better off without it.