Thursday, November 20, 2008

Saving up

I just bought myself an old jar.






If I could, I would stick Eden in it and save her just like she is today. I would save those big blue eyes she got from her daddy that are so excited to see me in the morning. I would save that smile that takes up half her face when she's talking on the phone with someone she loves. I would save that little dance she does when she spins in a circle and sometimes kicks for extra emphasis. Most of all, I would save that feeling of pure joy I get when she talks to me. And. She. Is. Funny.


Instead, I am writing down the funny things she has said on little slips of paper and putting them in this jar so that I will never, ever forget this feeling. The first entries are as follows:


1. In the car, while being strapped in, she says to me, "Mommy, sure didn't forget something?"

2. In the car, while we are pulling down the driveway, she then says, "Mommy, do you know where going?"

3. Still in the car, after we've gotten down the road a little way, she asks, "Mommy, do you know how get there?"


Ah... I laughed and laughed and she had no idea why.



The next one is more of a story (it will go on a slightly larger piece of paper):


...We are in the living room, I am on the couch, Eden is playing on the floor and she starts to grunt. I ask, 'Eden, do you need to have a bowel movement (well, I really said 'poopie', but wasn't sure what was more appropriate for this blog)?" and she says no, of course. A couple of seconds later she starts to grunt a little more. I calmly ask again and she clearly says no. Then I ask, 'Eden, are you lying (now, in hindsight I would say 'fibbing' or something more kid friendly, but it definitely wouldn't make for such a good story)?" She stops playing and looks at me like I am the craziest person she knows, then says, "no mommy, Lions say roaaaaaaar, I said uuuuugh!"

(A few minutes later I convinced her to sit on the toilet, she promptly produced her first #2 in the pot.)


...Side note: Why didn't anyone ever warn me about taking a two year old into a public restroom? The commentary! Don't worry, I won't give you the specifics; but I will warn any new mother out there - believe me, this is the last place you want a play-by-play announcement of your actions....



These are the sort of things I don't want to forget.


Oh, and her phone conversations. I definitely will put a few of those beauties in the jar. How she says, "hold on a second", "can you hear me?" and "I'll have to call you back".


Unfortunately, my favorite thing she is doing right now can not be captured in a jar and I have yet to catch it on video (oh but I will) - the way she sings in the bath tub and shower. Let me rephrase that, the way she YELLS songs without inhibition. Is this some sort of innate human trait that we loose after we've been laughed at one too many times? If so, I'm going to keep my chuckles to myself because I want to hear this sound for many years to come.





Boy, do I love this girl!




1 comment:

Erin said...

She looks like she is sitting in a bathtub full of pee water...hahahhaha! I cannot wait to see her soon! And you and Brian of course!