Sunday, May 30, 2010

I finally did it...

... I confused my two kids
... had a crazy out of body-like experience
... and accidentally gave August, Eden's dose of Neoral (her anti-rejection medicine).

How, you ask??

I have no freakin' idea! It was the single most idiotic thing I have ever done. I could give you all of the excuses I have been telling myself:

a) It was a long weekend of house guests, meal planning, entertaining and much less sleep.

b) My focus is still weighted on August and I am much more used to tending to his needs.

c) Anyone could have done it. They were laying right next to each other on the bed.

I know. I know. Excuses.

Thankfully we have the most calm and reassuring Pediatrician and Transplant Coordinator on the planet. The consensus was that they thought he would be fine with the "double dose" he received, but I should watch him for seizures (Yikes! Seizures?!).

Needless to say, I spent a fair amount of time crying, reliving the moment, apologizing, and analyzing August's every action (which was nothing out of the ordinary). I was so disappointed in myself and embarrassed that I could do something so careless. I am so very sorry. Thank god he is fine.



P.S. You can laugh if you want to... everyone else is, but I still well up with tears at the memory.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Be gentle with yourself Kera, I'm glad the doctor and coordinator were able to reassure you that August would be fine.

Beth

Erin Murphy said...

It'll be ok, sister. Be nice to yourself - he looks pretty happy to me!

Susan said...

Kera - Your husband would swear I permanently damaged his leg as a toddler when I dragged him out of the backseat after getting loose from his car seat and his foot got stuck under the front seat. He was walking by then but went back to crawling for awhile until his foot healed. Forgive yourself for being human and rejoice in August and Eden's good health. (I see August got a haircut - what a "Gerber" baby!!!