Monday, May 31, 2010

Month five, big guy!


Dear August,

You are now five months old and you barely feel like a baby any more. I realize this is a huge exaggeration, but you are so big and strong... we are not quite sure how much you weigh, but it is enough to send me in search of medical help for a sore shoulder (not to worry, I'm a bit wimpy these days) and you are freakishly close to sitting on your own. Oh, and those eyes, there is something grand going on behind those eyes. I can just see it, mark my words now.

So this was a big month for you... what I have been calling your "month of firsts". It began with your first taste of food - which you didn't much like, but when offered a couple of weeks later you thought you had died and gone to heaven. To date, you've only tried rice cereal, so don't thank me yet, you've still got sweet potatoes, avocado - or better yet - double chocolatey chocolate cake on the horizon. With the addition of eating dinner you've also joined Eden's evening bath and book time rituals. Your first bath in the tub was full of giggles, however, you mostly like to chew on the books (big surprise!). Then you decided to try out sleeping through the night - God bless you. Your first full 10 hours of sleep happened the night before Mother's day and has continued here and there since. Our trip to Kansas City for your Mimi's graduation incorporated your first plane flight, your first haircut (much overdue - thanks Kate!), and your first introduction to many of our family in KC. You continue to be an amazing traveler and were even praised by strangers as we got off both flights.

I also like to think that this month was the first glimpse we have been given into your personality. Every once in awhile, just a little bit of "you" breaks through that baby gaze. You are a cuddler. You love to be held and kissed and rocked and sang to. You have a sense of humor. Well, at least, smiling and laughing come easy to you - and since I think I'm funny, we are a good pair. You are pretty easy going and can handle most nuances that come your way, however, there is a short list of predictable triggers that will set you off. You are a social being. You light up like no other for your sister, and will always tune in to other people nearby.


My sweet little boy, you continue to fill my days with joy. I thought I was lucky when given a second chance with your sister, but I obviously had no idea how good it would get (and how crazy - let's be honest!). In this month of Mother's Day, I thought a little bit more about what you bring to my life and this role that I'm playing called "mother". You and your sister are the first things that enter my mind in the morning and the last as I doze off to sleep. You can surprisingly take every bit of energy and brain power I produce. You stretch the limits of my creativity and resourcefulness. You make menial chores fun (like making beds with giggling kids inside) and other chores just meaningless (like ironing miniature clothing). I recently read a story from another mom blogger and love the way she answered these questions about motherhood:

"What can I expect from becoming a mother? Disappointment. Frustration. Surprise. Joy. Love. Love. Love. Do I have what it takes? Sometimes yes, so much so that you will astound yourself. And sometimes no, this job will ask for more than you can give. What does it cost? All of you. And you will never regret it. " Kristen Franz





Thanks for making me a mother.


2 comments:

Erin Murphy said...

Okay, I know i am biased, but he is so freaking cute!

Anonymous said...

That's cute! I have a brother he's 2