Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride

So here it goes...

Eden was in a car accident yesterday. She is fine... everyone is just fine. Thank god. She was with Zander and our wonderful nanny, Nicole. To avoid bogging you down with details, I will just say that a very devastating situation was avoided and we are all so grateful for the outcome.

But I must admit, all I want to scream is "what the @#$% is happening?!"

I have spent a day or so processing all of my many thoughts and I will tell you what I have come up with, but first here are some of the things other people have said to me:

1. Bad things come in 3s: The broken leg, broken wrist, and now this accident. Remember, the transplant was a good thing, unbelievably stressful, but still good. Also, we are discounting all of the other hardship Eden has been through up to this point in her life. But who's really counting?

2. We, as parents, are being prepared for the teenage years. Cigarettes in the purse are going to be a breeze compared to these problems.

Yet even better...
3. We will be spared a difficult teenager all together because Eden's early years were so hard on us.

4. Now you are experiencing "normal" parenthood issues (broken bones and car accidents) verses the former heart condition, etc.

And my personal favorite...
5. God doesn't give you more than you can handle.


The truth is we will never know why all of this is happening or it's true linear progression. I definitely don't believe I am being dished all of this now only to be spared something more terrible later. And undoubtedly, we will handle whatever is next, as much as I like to think that my nerves can not take any more.

As for what I have been thinking: Eden is one tough girl. That's it. It's that simple. I was recently told by one of Eden's transplant nurses that I have been unfairly comparing Eden to "normal" kids her age (for size, feeding, etc) and if I continue I will never be satisfied. Even worse, I will never appreciate the amazing progress she has made. Instead, I should be comparing her to how far she has come, how much she has endured, and give more credit to her little body's miraculous ability to survive. In the last 10 weeks she has been through more "tragedy" than many people encounter in a lifetime. I've never broken a bone or had heart surgery, and all I did in the last 10 weeks was run. I just finished Denver's half marathon last weekend and was feeling pretty good, dare I say... tough. Oh no, Eden is the tough one.





P.S. Happy, happy birthday Jenny Bell. We love you!

No comments: