Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pre-School Trial

Eden experienced "school" for the first time today. She is in the process of potentially transitioning into pre-school, as she finally came off a waiting list for Montessori school. (In Denver, or at least our neighborhood and surrounding areas, youngsters can wait for years to get the opportunity to attend pre-school.) Today was just 3 hours (9-12), but that was plenty for both she and I!

Eden has talked about this day for weeks. She was awake by 5am this morning and waiting by the door by 7. 'Excited' is a grand understatement for her feelings this morning.

Here she is leaving the house: (I had trouble getting a shot where she was subdued enough to recognize her face.)




As we pulled up to the school she said, "It's okay Mom (not Mommy!), you can drop me off here." I reassured her that I would be going in to see her room and meet her teacher. Then, as soon as we got out of the car it was a whole different story. No more tough girl. See the apprehension in her expression:



Once inside, the tears began to fall. She was eventually pulled off my body and taken out to meet the kids on the play ground. I guess she warmed up to a few other girls and stuck close by their sides. She whimpered on and off. I went home and paced the living room. It was a very long 3 hours for us both.

The first thing she said to me after waking from her nap... "I want to go back to school!"

No comments: