Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Best Gift

Some of Eden's most profound statements come out of her mouth while sitting in the car seat. It must be some sort of a throne for her. At the very least, it is her thinking chair.



This morning, as we trod around town - running errands - wandering through Christmas sale aisles - squirting hand sanitizer - and recounting the same discussion over and over... Eden says,



"Christmas is all done, right mommy?"

"Yep, Sugar, it is over."

"Santa's not coming to our house anymore, right mommy?"

"Nope, not until next year."

"I already got all my gifts, right mommy?"

"That's right, you've finally opened them all."



And this discussion happens at least three more times.



Finally, we are heading home... and somewhere in between Eden giving me directions and telling me to turn up the music she says,



"Know what my best gift was mommy?"

"No, Sweetie, what was it?"

"My heart".



GULP!



"You are SO right Eden, that was the best gift many of us received!"



I realize that she is probably repeating her version of something we have said to her over the last month or so. But, I can't help but wonder... at some level, does she get it?

Time will tell, time will tell.

1 comment:

Erin Murphy said...

This made me almost cry at work - inn a good way. I miss you all and hope to see you soon! Love Always, Erin