Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trip to Holland



Welcome To Holland
copyright 1987, by Emily Perl Kingsley

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting. After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay. The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met. It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned." And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.


I first read this story just weeks after Eden was born (thanks to my aunt Rosalyn) and it has come across my desk several times since. Each time I read it differently, finding myself in a new stage of coping with Eden's life challenges. But everytime I cry like a baby!

Currently, we are weighing the decision to have more kids. It is true, what the author says, the pain of Eden's heart condition will never, ever, go away. It has robbed me of my innocense as a mother and I am forever changed. Don't get me wrong, we have fallen in love with Holland - all short, hairy, and full of attitude! Do we really want to get back on that plane?

2 comments:

kmurphy1003 said...

Dear Brother, Sister, and Niece,

I have been thinking about you guys a lot recently and reading the blog more and more to try and catch up with what is going on with you three. That last post really moved me and I just wanted to say that while past experiences may have changed your attitudes towards future endevours, you cannot let the past determine your present and future. I am glad to hear that you are contemplating having more kids. While it may be scary to think about all the what ifs, seeing the way you have handled Eden's condition and how strong you two are and the love that you share not only for Eden, but each other, I know that you two are prepared to handle what ever life throws at you. Don't let fear rule your decisions. Take it from an expert! You may miss out on a better existance. Give Eden all of my love and the brother of mine a hug.

Love you guys,

Kevin

Erin Murphy said...

Can I make a plea now for godmother??