Monday, March 2, 2009

A birthday hiccup


Tomorrow is Eden's 3rd birthday - her "golden" birthday. I had so many wonderful things to update you on tonight.

Like:

-- We made it home from the ranch, happy, healthy, and with a functioning tape deck (nothing that a set of tweezers and a flash light couldn't fix)

-- We had a great heart clinic appointment. After a six week cold, Eden's heart looked great and her medicine levels were perfect. They said she was ready to push the appts. out to every month!

-- Brian made it home from Jordan safe and sound. We were so excited to welcome him and he was so excited to see his bags arrive. (He spent the first half of his trip in the same clothes because his bags didn't make it for 6 days.)

-- We had a fun belated birthday dinner last night for Brian. He opened his gifts and shared his offerings from Jordan.

-- To top it all off, Eden was the happiest little kid you've ever seen today. Her daddy is home and her birthday is tomorrow. She was bouncing off the walls!
Now for the bad news... at about 6pm I started to notice that her mild runny nose (I had been in denial about) was looking more serious. Then, her voice started to sound congested. I finally put her to bed tonight with the true signs of another cold. Tears welled in my eyes. It's not fair. I know it could be worse, but I just hate it. She has had exactly one week of beauty rest and happiness. It was pure bliss. It is so discouraging to live with the reality of Eden's minimal immune system. The fear of rejection comes back again. Ugh.

To cheer myself up, I wrapped all of Eden's presents (including the ones we received from you all in the mail) and placed them in the living room. I kept my thoughts on a fun day of celebration tomorrow. I also referred back to our dinner conversation tonight...

Brian: "Eden, when is your birthday?"
Eden: "03-03-06!!" (with excitement)
Kera: "So then what's happening tomorrow?"
Eden: "MY BIRTHDAY!!!"
Brian: "Did you know I'm staying home with you and mommy tomorrow? What should we do?"
Eden: "I don't know. What do you do on your birthday?"
... we discuss our plans and then...
Kera: "Well, there will be lots of presents for you to open. We could start with them in the morning."
... Eden's eye brows raise and she starts clapping with excitement...
Eden: "Yea! Santa's coming again!!"
Laughter fills the air.

I pray tonight that Eden enjoys a wonderful day tomorrow. That this cold is nothing like the last. That I am able to see past this hiccup and give thanks for another year with this amazing little girl.



Good night.


No comments: