Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A health update

(Blogger is not my friend today... it won't post my pictures. Sorry!)

It has occurred to me that I haven't given much of an update on Eden's health lately. Some of her daily issues become... well... ordinary and not so news worthy. You do know that she vomits a lot? That she has days of good eating and those not so good? That we always put her on a scale with our fingers crossed behind our backs? Yep... so that's the normal stuff.

Then, I told you about Eden's cold she picked up somewhere around the middle of January? It was a doozey! It made all of the "normal" stuff I mentioned earlier a little worse and added a runny nose, cough, and less sleep.

Well, to top it off, we recently learned that Eden has a gross-motor developmental delay. This was very hard to hear and a little difficult to believe at first. I mean the child rolled over at 4 months, pulled up at 8 months, at walked at 10 months! How did this happen? According to Eden's therapist, she was on track until about the time that her heart got sick again. She was tired so we carried her more. She lost motivation and then her growth suffered. We didn't push much exercise because we wanted to help conserve her energy.

So, a year or more later, I guess this is what we get: a child whose cognition is right on track and has stellar fine motor skills - but can't jump very high, stand on one leg, or walk up stairs without assistance. You ask her to draw a circle... no problem. You want her stack 20 blocks... fine. She even knows the difference between an otoscope and a stethoscope! But walk any distance without being carried.... you're out of your mind!

Now that she has a new heart, she has started an exercise program of sorts. It mainly involves weekly physical therapy at a gym to strengthen her core and build her endurance. We have also added 3 block daily walks she must do at home. As much as I hate all of this, I do find humor in the idea of Eden working out. Maybe she needs some sweat bands? HA!

My good friend Nickie, a pediatric PT, says that she believes Eden's issues are more of a lack of exposure than a true delay. I hope this is true - only time will tell. Until then, it's another lap around the block for Eden - I am an exercise instructor after all.

P.S. Just when I was about to feel sorry for myself again, I found this article. A welcome reminder to always be grateful. My heart breaks for this family. They need our prayers too...


http://www.katu.com/news/local/40122542.html

1 comment:

The Moore Family said...

Did you see the update on the baby. They updated it today and said he is in the hospital waiting for a transplant.