Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 2 (Post Transplant)

I told myself when I started this blog that I would never apologize for not writing often enough... so I guess I can't do that now. It always happens that midnight is about the best time for me to finally sit down to think and write....

Eden continues to do pretty well from a medical stand point. They are watching her blood pressure closely as she seems to be running pretty high right now. Her blood sugar was up initially and came down today enough to be taken off of insulin. Most of these responses are normal for the situation and timing.

Many advances happened today. Most importantly, we were able to hold her! She begged and made it happen, even with more than ten lines of medicine, tubes and wires attached. A little later in the day they removed her two chest tubes that were draining the blood from her chest, as well as the arterial line in her neck. They have learned from the older patients that these are the most painful of her attachments. This also allows for more comfortable movement. Apparently too comfortable because Eden stood up in her bed at the first chance of freedom! As you can imagine, this was quite a shock for us all.

Eden has been very uncomfortable and agitated. She has been difficult to sedate and keep calm. She didn't sleep but for a couple of minutes at a time today and was finally moved into a private room and big bed for some peace and quiet. All of the doctors and nurses are surprised at her lack of response to sedation medicine and are working hard to find the right "cocktail". She was hardly effected by morphine! She has even rolled over and tried to scoot off the bed... while saying, "E Raine go home". As funny as this is, it is extremely exhausting for everyone. All of my usual mommy mechanisms to soothe her aren't working; I even attempted to lay with her in bed until I got a nice punch in the jaw. This fighter is literally trying to fight her way out of here!

I will attach more pictures in the morning. I am off to attempt some sleep.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You all are on an incredible journey!
Jeanne has been keeping me updated and I have been hanging on every word she says. Your blog really describes it well. you have been in our thoughts and prayers since the getgo. I also added Eden to the prayer list at church months ago, and now I will share about her new heart. I really believe that God does not give you more than you can handle, so I know you and Brian will discover strengths in yourselves you never knew you had.
Love you, Kera!