Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Eden's New Heart Day

At 9am this morning the hospital called to say that they have found a heart for Eden. I have spoken with DeDe, our transplant coordinator, so many times on the phone that I was no longer shocked to hear her voice on the other end. However, this time she did sound different.... She explained that a good match for Eden has been found and the surgeons were going to check it out and make sure that it is in the best possible condition. We needed to head to the hospital within the hour to start Eden's prep work for surgery.


Obviously, I was a bit frantic. I was taking care of my friend's 1 year old for the day (or so I thought) and had to quickly find a neighbor to watch her and get together our stuff for the hospital. Once we were placed into a room and Brian arrived, things began to settle down. Eden was initially free to run around. She met her roommate and even watched Nemo. As the day progressed we got more information from the surgeon. By 4pm we learned that the new heart looked good and the surgery was a go! (False alarms happen when the body has suffered too much damage or the heart seems to look bad in person.) The surgeons removed the donor heart and flew back to Denver while Eden was taken into the operating room.

The separation was the worst part. Sending away our otherwise healthy child into a heart transplant surgery felt terribly unnatural. Luckily, they had already started the anesthesia and Brian and I probably suffered more than she. Then began the waiting.... and the rallying of our friends and family. As our group grew in the lobby, we were periodically updated, and the tears turned to laughter.

The surgery took 5 hours exactly and then a couple more to finish and transport her back to the CICU (Cardiac Intensive Care Unit). We first saw her at about 1:30am, seven long hours after our departure and she was already starting to move and open her eyes a little. Her body was quite a shock to see. She has tubes and IVs everywhere, not to mention the at least 20 different monitors flashing and beeping behind her.

The greatest news to share is that she is doing so well. We continually receive wonderful reports and every Cardiologist that walks by, looks at Eden and all the monitors, and raves of her status. I am a bit overwhelmed at the stats right now, but will give more details as I learn. We have had the best possible situation right now and can only hope it continues. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, especially over the next couple of weeks. We will continue to update as we can.

10 comments:

KcKate said...

i'm crying with happiness - what great news for all of you, thank you for sharing it. Stan had left an email the minute he knew you had a heart. Love and prayers go with you -
Maril

MarthaT said...

This is the BEST NEWS ever! And also the power of technology to be able to know so quickly what your last 24 hours have been! With the rain of yesterday in Denver there was a respite for all- and the promise of new growth in the air. We all slept well and I know that you will too. A big congrats to your sweet family and especially to Eden who now has a heart to match her heart for life. :) Martha T

alyssa said...

Eden - We are so very VERY happy for you sweetie! Mackenzie and I were on top of a Ferris wheel when we got the news, and we were literally ON TOP OF THE WORLD! Mark and I kept waking up all night thinking of you all. I'm sure you're new heart is quickly learning that it's going to have to work hard to keep up with you! To new beginnings and our thoughts and prayers are with you! Mackenzie says 'Eden, heart, YEAH!!!' and can't wait for another play date!
~Alyssa, Mark and Mackenzie

Unknown said...

Tears of joy are running down my face. I pray Eden's little body accepts the heart as her own and she can now live a wonderful, healthy life. Thank you for sharing!
Kati

Tammy said...

Words cannot describe how happy we are for you! We can't wait to see you running around and asking to go to the zoo! You are a special little girl!

Love,
Nanny Nic's family

SCF said...

This is the greatest news - I have been checking in and I am so HAPPY!!!!! Continued prayers for all of you!

nicole said...

Eden you did it I'm so proud of you!! I just got on praying that there was an update on how it went and there was!! I don't think I have ever been so happy in my life and to hear it went well was the best news in the world. I pray for a speedy recovery and I'll be by your side every step of the way! I love you so much muffin and I'll see you soon!
Love,
Nanny Nic

Unknown said...

we are so thrilled for all of you!! you will continue to be in our prayers....what a fighter eden is!!! God Bless!!!!

maricojones said...

You all have been in my thoughts and prayers so much. Thank you for the update on Eden. It is great to hear good news!! Please keep us posted. Love you very much. -michael

Tolky1 said...

I am so happy, happy about this. What a wonderful, wonderful thing. My grandmother (Grace Hamilton) told me about this last night (August 12th), and I had to go to the blogspot to leave my thanks to everybody. Wonderful.
Mark Andrew Hamilton